Vinyl stickers are a great way to add a personal touch to your tumblers. But there are many factors like cleaning, drink spills or outdoor use that can affect the stickers. So how do we protect these vinyl stickers?
Let’s seal them.
This method is ideal for ensuring your tumbler decor will last for a long time. And in this article, CustomAny will guide you through 5 easy methods for anyone from a skilled crafter to a beginner to seal vinyl on tumblers.
Let’s learn how to seal vinyl on tumblers to understand why this extra step is a must have in your tumblers decoration.
Why should you seal your vinyl tumbler stickers?
When we mention how to seal vinyl on tumblers, we are referring to the application of a protective coat that enhances the overall durability of the vinyl decal. Learning how to seal vinyl on tumblers (or how to seal stickers on tumblers) is important for several reasons:
To keep them waterproof
By sealing your stickers, you provide them with a waterproof barrier. This additional protective layer safeguards your sticker design from water or wet conditions and makes your tumbler dishwasher safe.
To keep them scratch-free and prevent fading
Tumbler sticker sealing is particularly beneficial if you plan to bring your tumbler outdoors, as the sealant acts as a shield against harmful UV rays, preventing color fading.
Furthermore, as tumblers often endure rough handling, constant carrying, and frequent cleaning, sealing vinyl on tumblers protects vinyl stickers against wear and tear, ensuring that your design remains intact.
To keep them straight on a curve surface
Applying a sealant to your vinyl tumbler stickers helps them adhere perfectly to the curved surface of the tumbler. This ensures that your stickers remain straight and visually appealing.
To keep them from peeling off your tumbler
Even if the vinyl used is high-quality, constant water exposure can cause the stickers to peel away from your tumbler. However, by utilizing sealants, you can minimize this risk. This method also maintains the stickers’ adhesion and overall quality.
How to Seal Vinyl on Tumblers
Here are 5 recommended sealer methods on how to seal vinyl on tumblers:
1. Nail Polish Top Coat
- Nail polish topcoat
- Soft brush
How to seal vinyl on tumblers with nail polish topcoat
- Prepare the vinyl surface by thoroughly cleaning it to ensure optimal adhesion of the sealant
- Next, carefully apply a thin coat of clear nail polish onto the vinyl using gentle brushstrokes.
- Allow the sealant to dry completely before handling the tumbler.
- Provides a glossy, waterproof seal
- It’s how to keep vinyl from peeling off plastic
- Easy to find nail polish topcoat and apply it
- Has a strong odor
- May not be as durable as specialized sealants
Epoxy resin is a versatile sealer that can effectively protect your vinyl tumbler. The preparation process for how to seal vinyl on tumblers involves carefully stirring together two distinct liquid components. This initiates a chemical reaction that gradually transforms the liquid into a solid state.
Various epoxy resin options can be found online and in craft stores, each with its unique characteristics. These differences may include viscosity as well as curing time.
But how to seal vinyl on a tumbler? Let’s find out!
How to seal vinyl on tumblers with epoxy
- Ensure your metal tumbler is clean and dry.
- Next, apply a transfer paper onto your decal. Smooth out any air bubbles to ensure that the design is securely adhered before removing the transfer paper.
- Before proceeding, position your tumbler on a turner machine.
- Follow the instructions provided on the epoxy packaging to prepare the epoxy mixture.
- While continuously rotating the tumbler, apply the epoxy mixture evenly using a brush.
- Finally, allow your tumbler to cure for at least 24 hours before using it. If the surface still feels slightly sticky to the touch after this time, allow it to dry for a bit longer.
- Learning how to seal vinyl on tumblers with epoxy will make your tumbler dishwasher safe and ensure its longevity. Besides, with this method, you can achieve a surface that is highly scratch-resistant.
- The process can be time-consuming
- The mixture must be used right away
3. Laminate spray
- Clean and dry tumbler
- High-quality, clear laminate spray designed to protect vinyl for tumblers
- Protective measures: gloves and a mask
How to seal vinyl on tumblers with laminate spray
- Shake the laminate spray can
- Hold the can at a distance as recommended on the product label. Then, spray a light, even coat of laminate onto the entire vinyl decal area of the tumbler.
- Let the first coat dry. Apply additional coats if necessary.
- Pay attention to spray from different angles to cover all areas of the vinyl decal evenly.
- Once all coats are applied and dried, allow the tumbler to cure completely.
- It barely adds bulk to your stickers. It’s a way of how to keep stickers from peeling off water bottle.
- Multiple sheets can be done simultaneously
- It is glossy, and UV protectant
- You may need to apply multiple coats and wait for 10-30 minutes between each coat
- Ventilation is necessary because of fumes
4. Clear-coat sealant
- What type of vinyl to use on tumblers? Vinyl sealant, sticker sealant
- Vinyl sticker
- Protective items (masks, gloves)
How to seal vinyl on tumblers with clear coat sealant
- Apply the sealant in thin layers.
- Follow the instructions carefully. It may take a few minutes or hours for the material to dry
- To prevent air bubbles or uneven residues, wait until the surface is completely smooth and free of any tackiness before applying the next layer.
- Using this method, you can protect your vinyl stickers for tumblers in the most buildable way possible.
- You can suffer health risks if you don’t take care or if you have health conditions such as asthma.
5. Shrink Wrap
- Shrink wrap
- Heat source: a heat gun or a blow dryer
- Clean tumbler
How to seal vinyl on tumblers with shrink wrap
- To ensure the design is covered completely, cut a piece of shrink wrap slightly longer than the vinyl decal.
- Wrap the shrink wrap around the tumbler and cover the vinyl decal fully.
- Use the heat source to evenly apply to the shrink wrap. Move the heat source around the wrap, evenly shrinking it without overheating any area.
- By applying heat, the shrink wrap will tighten around the tumbler. This will conform to its shape and securely seal the vinyl decals for the tumblers.
- Heat the shrink wrap until it is fully tightened and adhered to the tumbler’s surface. Be careful not to overheat or melt the wrap.
- Ensures tight and secure sealing
- The finish is seamless and professional.
- This can be a time-consuming process
- Requires additional equipment such as a heat gun or blow dryer.
When to seal vinyl stickers on tumbler?
Crafters frequently opt for sealers in cases where they need glitter finishes.
Most crafters want to apply an extra layer of seal onto their tumbler stickers to enhance the vinyl sticker’s durability, protect these adhesive pieces against water, wet condition, fading and scratching.
Additionally, they frequently opt for sealers in cases they need stickers in glitter finishes.
Besides, investing in the necessary supplies to seal vinyl is highly beneficial, especially if you have the financial means to do so.
Is laminated vinyl on a tumbler washable?
You can enhance the protection of your custom stickers by incorporating an extra layer of laminate. This material allows your stickers to remain dishwasher safe and withstand regular cleaning without compromising their quality.
Is it safe to seal vinyl on my tumbler with sealant?
Using a sealant designed for the purpose of sealing vinyl on tumblers is generally safe. However, using non-toxic and food-safe sealants is advisable, especially because the tumbler will come into contact with beverages and lips.
How often do I need to reapply the sealant on my tumbler vinyl stickers?
How often you should reapply the sealant on tumbler vinyl stickers depends on:
- Sealant type
- Environmental factors
- The way you use your tumbler
So, if you notice scratches on the seal layer, reapply with another layer to protect your vinyl tumbler stickers.
In conclusion, how to seal vinyl on tumblers can be a frustrating issue, but with the 5 solutions in this article, you can take control of it. You can now sip your hot coffee or chocolate from your customized tumbler. You can also clean it in the dishwasher without having to worry about the design coming off.
For high-quality printed vinyl stickers that suitable for tumbler, you can go to our product page. CustomAny offers various types, include die cut stickers, uniform shape stickers, special types such as holographic or clear stickers shapes, all can be customized in your desired size and quantity so you can choose the best ones that suit your tumbler decoration needs.